I'm constructing this from my kitchen, as we are still locked-out of our school. I know that 99% of you have taken your instruments home...I'M PROUD OF YOU!
Let's talk about instrument care. There isn't enough time in class to have lessons on just how to clean each and every kind of instrument properly. So, seeing as we seem to have some spare time on our hands, let's take care of the instruments!
First and foremost: there are some BAD videos out there on instrument care and cleaning. People grabbing the sax neck with a fist, rather than fingers pointed down, soaking the clarinet mouthpiece ALL THE WAY above the cork, grabbing the entire joint of the oboe, rather than by the body, only, et cetera...
I've found some acceptable videos, and included them here. Some use specific products which you might not have at home, however they are readily available at local music stores. (If you are not an experienced musician, I would avoid online vendors. Everything that shines is not gold!
- Do NOT spray your woodwind instrument with disinfectant of any kind.
- Do NOT put pieces in the dishwasher or boiling water! (Yes, I've seen people do all of these!)
- I do not recommend sucking air through the instruments in order to dry the tone holes out.
- If you use a pipe cleaner on a woodwind to get in the tight spots, you MUST avoid damaging the pads in the process!
- Be sure to clean the bathtub after you give your brass instrument a bath! YUCK!